At the 2008 General Meeting, held last night at the Marriott Wardman Park at 8:30 p.m., AHA president-elect Gabrielle Spiegel presented the AHA’s prize and award winners for 2007. This group included sixteen book prizes, three awards for scholarly distinction, one honorary foreign member, and more. See the complete list of prize and award winners below.
- Herbert Baxter Adams Prize
Francine Hirsch, Empire of Nations: Ethnographic Knowledge and the Making of the Soviet Union, Cornell Univ. Press, 2005
- George Louis Beer Prize
J. P. Daughton, An Empire Divided: Religion, Republicanism, and the Making of French Colonialism, 1880–1914, Oxford Univ. Press, 2006
- Albert J. Beveridge Award
Allan M. Brandt, The Cigarette Century: The Rise, Fall, and Deadly Persistence of the Product that Defined America, Basic Books, 2007
- James Henry Breasted Prize
John Matthews, The Journey of Theophanes: Travel, Business, and Daily Life in the Roman East, Yale Univ. Press, 2006
- John H. Dunning Prize
Linda Nash, Inescapable Ecologies: A History of Environment, Disease, and Knowledge, Univ. of California Press, 2007
- John E. Fagg Prize
Sabine MacCormack, On the Wings of Time: Rome, the Incas, Spain, and Peru, Princeton Univ. Press, 2006
- John K. Fairbank Prize in East Asian History
Eugenia Lean, Public Passions: The Trial of Shi Jianqiao and the rise of Popular Sympathy in Republican China, Univ. of California Press, 2007
- Morris D. Forkosch Prize
Deborah Cohen, Household Gods: The British and Their Possessions, Yale Univ. Press, 2006
- Leo Gershoy Award
Richard B. Sher, The Enlightenment and the Book: Scottish Authors and Their Publishers in Eighteenth-Century Britain, Ireland, and America, Univ. of Chicago Press, 2006
- Joan Kelly Memorial Prize in Women’s History
Mrinalini Sinha, Specters of Mother India: The Global Restructuring of an Empire, Duke Univ. Press, 2006
- Littleton-Griswold Prize
Dalia Tsuk Mitchell, Architect of Justice: Felix S. Cohen and the Founding of Americam Legal Pluralism, Cornell Univ. Press, 2006
- J. Russell Major Prize
Martha Hanna, Your Death Would Be Mine: Paul and Marie Pireaud in the Great War, Harvard Univ. Press, 2006
- Helen and Howard R. Marraro Prize
John A. Davis, Naples and Napoleon: Southern Italy and the European Revolutions, 1780–1860, Oxford Univ. Press, 2006
- George L. Mosse Prize
David Blackbourn, The Conquest of Nature: Water, Landscape, and the Making of Modern Germany, W.W. Norton, 2006
- James A. Rawley Prize in Atlantic History
Sabine MacCormack, On the Wings of Time: Rome, the Incas, Spain, and Peru, Princeton Univ. Press (2006)
- Wesley-Logan Prize
Rosanne Marion Adderley, "New Negroes from Africa": Slave Trade Abolition and Free African Settlement in the Nineteenth-Century Caribbean, Indiana Univ. Press, 2006
Sylviane A. Diouf, Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America, Oxford Univ. Press, 2006
Awards for Scholarly Distinction
- Martin Duberman, Distinguished Professor of History Emeritus, Lehman College and the Graduate School, City Univ. of New York
- Jack P. Greene, Andrew W. Mellon Professor Emeritus, Johns Hopkins Univ.
- Anne Firor Scott, W. K. Boyd Professor Emerita of History, Duke Univ.
Troyer Steele Anderson Prize
- Roy Rosenzweig*, George Mason Univ.
*The Troyer Steele Anderson Prize was awarded to Roy Rosenzweig before he died on October 11, 2007. It was conferred posthumously at the annual meeting.
Beveridge Family Teaching Prize
- The Civics Team at Little Rock Central High School, Arkansas (Mike Johnson, Adam Kirby, Cynthia Mahomes, Keith Richardson, Rachel Rigsby, April Rike, Sarah Schutte, Kirby Shofner, George West, and Stan Williams).
Herbert Feis Award
- David H. DeVorkin, National Air and Space Museum
William Gilbert Award
- Sam Wineburg, Susan Mosborg, Dan Porat, and Ariel Duncan, for their article, "Common Belief and the Cultural Curriculum: An Intergenerational Study of Historical Consciousness," American Educational Research Journal, 44:1 (March 2007), 40–76
John E. O’Connor Film Award
- Sacco and Vanzetti (Willow Pond Films, 2007) director and producer: Peter Miller, editor and producer: Amy Carey Linton
Nancy L. Roelker Mentorship Award
- Christine Hayes, Poudre High School, Fort Collins, Colorado
Honorary Foreign Member
- João José Reis, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Brazil
By committee decision, the Eugene Asher Distinguished Teaching Award will not be awarded for 2007.
**Update** – This list of prize winners, expanded to include citations and some biographies is now available on the AHA web site.