The AHA is still accepting applications for the position of Associate Editor. The Associate Editor serves in a variety of writing and editorial capacities at the Association’s headquarters office, working primarily on content for the news magazine (Perspectives on History), but also social media and press relations work as well as assisting with other print and online publications as time allows. To apply, send a cover letter, c.v., and a brief writing sample (or a link to online material) to firstname.lastname@example.org. More details about the position are available below:
- Initiate, develop, and write news stories and other articles for Perspectives on History, Perspectives Online, and AHA Today.
- Manage, coordinate, copyedit, and proofread the News, In Memoriam, Members, and Letters to the Editor sections of Perspectives on History.
- Copyedit and proofread other feature articles and correspond with authors about suggested revisions as needed.
- Track articles through the review process and maintain related databases for Perspectives on History and Perspectives Online.
- Facilitate monthly meetings of the Perspectives on History editorial board.
- Collaborate with Web Editor in the development of a dynamic social media presence.
- Assist with production of other web and print publications of the Association, as needed.
- Work with Executive Director on media relations, including broadening the AHA’s public profile.
- Supervise editorial interns as needed.
- Participate in planning and implementing activities relating to annual meeting (assigned as needed, with flexibility).
- Other duties that may arise necessary to the functioning of the Association.
- PhD in history preferred; ABDs with four years of relevant experience may also apply.
- Strong writing skills.
- Some experience with editing and proofreading.
- Working knowledge of digital technologies and familiarity with social media.
Salary: Comparable to entry level university faculty position. Benefits package includes competitive medical and life insurance and a qualified pension plan.
Schedule: 35 hours/week, Monday through Friday, occasional evenings and weekends for meetings.
Date Posted: September 29, 2011
Date Available: Immediately, with some flexibility. Review of applications will
begin October 31, 2011. Interviews might be conducted at AHA Annual Meeting.
Application: To apply, send a cover letter, c.v., and a brief writing sample (or a link to online material) to email@example.com.