January 07, 2010
By Elisabeth Grant
Today, Thursday, January 7, 2010, is the first day of the 124th Annual Meeting of the American Historical Association. The theme this year is “Oceans, Islands, Continents.” See the online Program for a complete list of sessions.
If you’ve made the trip to San Diego, welcome! And if you couldn’t make it to the meeting this year, you can stay up-to-date with Annual Meeting sessions and events over the next few days (January 7th through the 10th) with daily morning overviews right here on AHA Today.
Here are a few things going on at the Annual Meeting today:
Locations and Times
- Registration for the meeting is located in Douglas Pavilion A on the ground level of the Hyatt and will be open today from 12:00–7:00 pm. If you’ve already registered for the meeting, stop by to pick up your registration badge. If you haven’t registered, come by to do so, or register online.
- The Job Center is located in the Marriott’s Marriott Hall on the lobby level and is open today from 12:30–6:00 pm. (Admission to the Job Center requires an AHA registration badge).
- The Exhibit Hall is located in the Hyatt’s Douglas Pavilion and will be open today from 3:00–7:00 pm. (Admission to the Exhibit Hall requires an AHA registration badge)
- Misbehaving Women: Sex Radicals and Nonconformists Who Made U.S. History.
3:00–5:00 pm, Manchester Ballroom A (Hyatt)
- Is Google Good for History?
3:00-5:00 pm, Manchester Ballroom D (Hyatt)
- Rethinking American Disability Movement History
3:00-5:00 pm, Maggie Room (Hyatt)
- Slaving Paths: Rebuilding and Rethinking the Atlantic Worlds, Part 1: Mirages of Freedom in Atlantic Post-Slave Societies
3:00-5:00 pm, Manchester Ballroom F (Hyatt)
- Vampires: Dead, Undead, and Rumored Undead
3:00-5:00 pm, Edward B (Hyatt)
Events of the AHA Working Group for Historical Perspectives on Same-Sex Marriage
To implement a resolution passed at the 2009 annual meeting, the AHA Council formed a working group to create a miniconference to explore historical perspectives on same-sex marriage at the 2010 meeting in San Diego. Today, one session is taking place:
- Land of the Free and Home of the Brave: Same-Sex Marriage in Canada
3:00–5:00 pm, Manchester Ballroom G (Hyatt)
- Manifest Destiny: To Conquer or Redeem
5:30-7:30 pm , Randle Ballroom D (Hyatt)
To Conquer or Redeem tells the dramatic story of the Spanish-American and U.S.-Philippine Wars in the context of continental expansion and conquest. As part one of Manifest Destiny, a documentary series on U.S. foreign policy, this film tracks the evolving role of exceptionalism as a rebellious colony grew into a continental power and then an overseas empire.
Opening of the 124th Annual Meeting
The Opening of the Meeting, presided over by AHA President Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, will be held at 7:30 pm in the Elizabeth Ballroom F of the Hyatt. The plenary session, Musical Encounters in the Early Atlantic: An Exploratory Performance, will follow.